Monday, November 2, 2009

November 2, 1981

So today is my birthday. I am now 28 years old. I don’t really feel different from a year ago, but I guess I’m older. Right now I feel melancholy, sad and lonely. I know birthdays are supposed to be a happy occasion and I wouldn’t fight being happy right now, but it’s just not that kind of day today. It’s around 12:30 right now and I haven’t done anything. School is closed today and mostly everyone is at work. The apartment is so empty and quiet. For the past few weeks I’ve tried to figure out what I should do today, but I couldn’t seem to find any options. I really didn’t want to be alone today. I know I was at some disadvantage because my birthday is on a Monday, the start of the workweek and everyone is busy. There was always some small hope however, that I’d have someone to share today with. I had planned to go out to dinner tonight with cousins and a few friends. At first no one responded, which gave me some kind of clue. And then after I got message after message of “sorry, but . . .” it kinda put a damper on my going out mood so I just cancelled dinner all together. It might have been a bit dramatic on my part, but I was just not feeling any kind of special after that. So now I’m still here, trying not to fall in some state of depression. I think I watch too much TV because a part of me hopes that I’ll walk into a room later when I’m at my lowest point, turn on the lights and hear “SURPRISE!” from my friends and family. I have to reality check myself though.

It always falls back to him. He who is never here. He who I haven yet to meet and don’t know if I ever will. For some reason I have this notion that if I had a special guy, he would make me so happy. He would have squeezed me in bed at midnight and whispered, “Happy Birthday, I love you.” He would have taken me to breakfast and then for a bike ride along the beach. And then later he would have planned a dinner where all my friends and family were present to greet me. He would have made sure I felt special today. Maybe I’m crazy and asking for too much.


Well today is my birthday, but it’s just gonna be like any other day I suppose. People did send me birthday greetings which was nice. I wish that was enough to take me out of this mood. I’m just sad. And it’s far too quiet and desolate in here for me to not be sad. I know I’m lucky to have made it another year, but I must be honest, I feel very empty. I’ll still hope for the best, but after a while those hopes become stale and turn into reality. I don’t mean to sound whiny and depressing (I only share all this here because no one ever reads this), but I needed to express how I’m feeling today. 12 more hours and then it’ll be Tuesday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, there is someone who reads this. It breaks my heart that I missed a chance to make someone as beautiful on the outside and as beautiful on the inside as you feel special on his birthday.

Hang in there, Jay. I wish I could be the Brazilian model/birthday dinner planner your heart covets. But I am an empathetic soulmate in disappointment and disillusionment who wants to encourage you to spend every day of Age 28 being strong, flashing a smile at the world, and, as the saying goes, valuing what you do have vs. what you don't have.

You are very loved and you deserved better yesterday.

You will be fine...just don't let bitterness prevent your heart from trusting the trustworthy. Think of it this way, you can enjoy the ride of being a hopeless romantic, or you can give up.
Don't give up, handsome. ;-)